playboy50: Let's begin

Alfred Urrutia rampagingsloth@yahoo.com
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:46:07 -0800 (PST)

--- Peggy Wilkins <mozart@lib.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Thus I come to what I would like to present as our first topic for
> discussion: What Is Playboy?  This topic is deliberately very open
> and
> vague: I feel it makes an excellent opening topic for that reason.
> Approach this in any way you think will be insightful and productive.
> We can use the issues that inevitably come up in this topic for more
> detailed discussion further down the road.  The reasons you like
> Playboy will give insight into what it is, so give some thought to
> why
> you like Playboy, especially when it pleases you most.  Does it give
> you anything you can't get elsewhere?  What?  Try to think in
> positive
> terms: what defines a good issue of Playboy, rather than what does
> not.

Playboy for me has been many things.  I went through two stages of it.
The first was the cliche' sneaking peeks stage when I was very young.
My dad had some, same with uncles and in stores.  I remember the covers
more than anything.  The second stage was when I was old enough to care
to buy it on my own.  I think that was the "Women of Wall Street" issue
with Brandi Brandt on the cover.  She has always been the spokesmodel
for Playboy for me, what I sort expect as far as the look of the PMOM.
For that is something that truly defines Playboy.  Other magazines have
centerfolds but Playboy has the Centerfold.

Playboy for me has also always been Accepted.  By that I mean it's that
one example of its type that non-fans like.  So, take musclecars.  Many
people will laugh at me for liking "those old cars" that are primitive
and need work.  *But*, no matter whether they don't like or don't get
musclecars because of the engines or the colors or styles, they will
invariably mention the Mustang or Corvette as one car they like "even
though it's a musclecar".  That one is acceptable.  Same with Playboy.
Playboy is acceptable as an adult magazine to own, to want.  Other
adult magazines tag you as a perv or sick or desperate, maybe.  But
Playboy ends up being the cool one to read.  People will grudgingly
admit that the interviews are good or they liked this or that article.
And that the photography and models are a cut above.

Playboy is Class.  Disregarding how much it's changed and how it's
competition has changed, it's still in the competition.  And it has a
vibe.  It's a combination of Hugh Hefner himself (what guy wouldn't
want to trade places with him?) with his philosophies, the Mansion and
all the parties and legends that go with it, the magazine and it's
mature style of portraying a man who knows what he wants and who's
willing to get it, and more recent parts like video releases and the
internet.  Even when Playboy screws up it's ok, like the Yankees or
Lakers losing a game.  Big deal, they'll win the next one.  Same with
Playboy.  If an issue wasn't what was expected there is confidence that
the next one will be.  Playboy has the benefit of the doubt.  It's
cool.  It's playful sexiness and lust, not embarrassing raunch.

I think it's also long-legged.  The most successful recent adult mags,
at least to me, have been those that try to copy some part of Playboy's
style or approach.  So, Perfect 10 tries.  Penthouse tried.  When an
adult mag wants to gain acceptance its base plan starts out from
Playboy's look and feel.  However it deviates it still initially
started from a successful design.  And none has been more successful
than Playboy.  No one can deny that being a Playmate means more than
anything else in the adult modelling world.  Nude in Playboy isn't the
same as nude in other mags.  That took decades to build.  Playboy's
photography is a style all its own.  And it's copied.

And, finally, for me Playboy is its Playmates.  I can deal with an
issue having lousy/uninteresting articles, interviews with people I
could care less about.  But it's the Playmate that most draws my
attention.  And, since I've started subscribing, I've never been
disappointed.  A Playmate may not end up being one of my favorites but
she'll still be worthy of being called a Playmate.  Besides Hefner they
are the only physical manifestation of the magazine itself.  You can't
get an autograph or an interview from the Mansion.  The celebrity
pictorials are, to a lesser degree, the same thing but many magazines
have those.  Only Playboy has a title that is instantly recognizable
around the world.  And most models would consider it a career step up
to be designated a Playmate.

Alfred.

=====
"Okay, people, soon we will be neck deep in Liquor,
 Roulette Chips, Whores and Steak."

                       - from Logan Sinclair's Vegas email.

Alfred Urrutia                     rampagingsloth@yahoo.com