An "outsider's" view of what Playboy is

ominusal@excite.com ominusal@excite.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:19:34 -0500 (EST)

 Hi, all!

To me, Playboy is exactly what it says on the cover - Entertainment
for Men.  I believe that it was in the very first issue that Hef said
that the magazine was meant to be a diversion from the worries of the
atomic age (I don't remember the exact quote).  In that respect,
Playboy has succeeded wonderfully.  Every issue of Playboy I ever
picked up has been entertaining.

That doesn't mean that I like everything about every issue.  Maybe I
don't agree with this month's Playmate selection.  Or maybe I'm not
interested in this month's interview subject.  But then there is the
fiction.  And the movie review.  And the music review.  And the
fashion.  And the "men" column.  There is always enough to keep me
entertained.

Compared to its competitors, I'd like to point out what Playboy isn't.
Playboy isn't only about sex.  I think that distinguishes it from its
early competitors, such as Hustler and Penthouse.  Playboy isn't only
about attitude.  I think that distinguishes it from its current
competitors, such as FHM and Maxim.

In the context of American society (and no, I'm not American), Playboy
is a lot more than just the content between the covers.  I think
Playboy is both a catalyst and a reflection of much that has happened
since 1953.  But I'll leave it to academics and members of this forum
to debate Playboy's place in history.

Probably I have owned and/or read thoroughly fewer issues of Playboy
(less than 50) than most people on this forum.  My attachment to
Playboy isn't that strong.  But I hope to give an "outsider's" point
of view.  From what I have seen in the first several posts, I believe
that this forum will give PEI a lot to think about.

I can't wait to read more posts.

Simon Lau
ominusal@excite.com