Playboy's pictorial captions: too crude now?

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Sat, 05 Apr 2003 11:58:52 -0800

Maybe I'm a prude, but I see an unfortunate trend towards vulgarity in the
captions to Playboy's pictorials. Yes, this magazine has always contained a
lot of good-natured raunch, but the pictorials are supposed to have a more
gallant sensibility. They're supposed to sound like James Bond or Cary
Grant, not like dialogue from The Man Show. And don't tell me that the
captions need to get dirty to compete with the lads' mags. Illiterate slobs
won't care one way or the other, so why not satisfy us discriminating men?

For me, examples of this fairly sudden loss of class include the following:

Girls of the Big 12, October 2002: "UT's Rachel Balbert gives us a
Longhorn."

Cyber Girls, February 2003: "Control your joystick. . . . These girls may
make you want to download."

Of course, any healthy heterosexual male will make these kinds of statements
in his inner monologue. But I like the way that Playboy's earlier, more
discreet style of caption writing made me feel like a gentleman. It's
flattering to be implicitly presented as a nice boy, just as the models are
presented as nice girls. (Unlike the utopian sexual revolutionaries, I
suspect that human beings will always have at least a mild inclination to
see sex as dirty. The girl-next-door and boy-next-door messages of Playboy
will always be gloriously counterintuitive in some way.)

I believe Playboy's writers should follow the example set by Jeff Cohen in
his introductions to the special editions. Many of these are delightfully
poetic tributes to female beauty and sex appeal. By infusing male lust with
a feminine sense of romance and pageantry, they remind us of the somewhat
androgynous quality that makes Playboy so special.

Brian Sorgatz