Peggy's letter about the June cover

Donna Tavoso dtavoso@earthlink.net
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 03:19:35 -0500 (EST)

Not to be the sole point of disagreement, but just because something
has always been a tradition doesn't mean it's the right decision.
Sometimes change is good, after all if you don't change you are
history.

Yes, Playboy took advantage of having a "celebrity of the moment" on
the cover of the magazine, but in doing so it took nothing away from
the PMOY.  In fact, it will probably extend the number of people who
will see her issue by a couple of hundred thousand people, a large
number of whom may actually begin subscribing to the magazine.  The
PMOY still had her party at the Mansion and her video release party,
she still has done tons of interviews and gotten a ton of press.

I also think it was smart not to reveal who it was on the cover, after
all, the goal of cover lines is to get newsstand buyers to buy the
issue, so if you want to see who PMOY is, you have to get the issue.

Donna Tavoso

-------Original Message-------

From: "Brian Sorgatz" <bsorgatz@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:42:31 -0700

Peggy Wilkins wrote:
>Well, I gotta say, I am shocked and disappointed.  This is a straying
>from a venerable tradition.  The first PMOYs were not on the cover,
>but they have been ever since Donna Michelle in 1964.  The PMOY cover
>has been something I have looked forward to ever since I saw my first
>PMOY, Dorothy Stratten, in 1980 -- truly a stunning cover that was.
>After I see this issue for myself, this definitely warrants a well
>thought out letter to Dear Playboy.

My sentiments exactly. Peggy, if you're willing and able, please post
a copy of your letter to Dear Playboy on this list. I intend to write
a letter, too. Naturally, I won't send your exact words, but I could
use them as inspiration. Maybe it would be a good idea for every
Playboy50 member who agrees with us to send a letter.

Brian Sorgatz