This project

Peggy Wilkins mozart@lib.uchicago.edu
Tue, 05 Aug 2003 01:22:37 -0500

    Dan> It is my opinion that Mr. Hefner's magazine is not as good as
    Dan> it once was.  This is an opinion shared by many observers,
    Dan> fans and professionals.  One of the reasons I have
    Dan> participated in this forum is to explore why this decline in
    Dan> quality happened and what might be done to correct it.  I
    Dan> have offered my opinions on both counts.  Given recent
    Dan> actions by Mr. Hefner, my concerns about the magazine are
    Dan> likely to deepen.

I would like to revisit this to make sure as much of this issue is
defined as possible.  So to begin with, here is a summary of what I
remember clearly as having been said on this topic (and maybe I have
even elaborated some of it in my mind).

Factors contributing to this felt decline:

- Formulaic design:

   - covers are routine and lack creativity; this evidences a loss
     of sophistication and lessens sense of visual impact

   - rigid adherence to historical formats and layout led to sense
     of tiredness, lack of innovation; presentation of the content
     makes it look uninteresting, irrelevant

- The cult of the celebrity:

   - dependence on celebrity covers and content for sales means a loss
     of self determination

   - PLAYBOY's definition of who is a celebrity has been questionable:
     tabloid journalism leads to poor perception of the magazine

- Absentee editor

   - Hugh Hefner used to take a deep personal interest in all the
     magazine content, but has slowly given up control of all but a
     few preferred features; the magazine has subsequently lost the
     marked benefits of his directed attention

Given the late hour (and the fact I have to get up and go to work
tomorrow) I am going to cut it short here.  I know that the above
summary is dismissive and lacks subtlety.  My point is to get people
to say what they think is most important here.  What have I left out?
What do you see as being the important factors in this decline in
quality?

Peggy Wilkins
mozart@lib.uchicago.edu