Taming down PLAYBOY: desirable?

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:10:56 -0700

On the subject of taming down the flagship magazine, Dan Stiffler wrote:
>Peggy thinks this idea has the potential of being a disaster.  Steve thinks
>it would be a major error.  Brian thinks it would be wimping out.

Yes, I do think that.  But just as importantly, I think that relegating the
nudity to other venues would deprive the magazine proper of its role as the
heart center of the whole enterprise.  Even if it is no longer the source of
the company's profits, it still has this mythically important role.  And
don't tell me that my mythological concerns are mere sentimentality or
idealism.  In the long run, these things have real consequences.

Now that this discussion appears to be winding down, I wish to reveal some
of the sources of inspiration (besides PLAYBOY itself) for my posts here.  I
have been greatly influenced by the writings of James Hillman and Thomas
Moore (not to be confused with Sir Thomas More).  Whenever I wrote of "soul"
or of "mythic" or "archetypal" matters, I took my cue from them.  For a good
introduction to their school of thought, I recommend the 1992 book that
Hillman co-wrote with Michael Ventura, *We've Had a Hundred Years of
Psychotherapy and the World's Getting Worse*.  This book contains many truly
radical ideas of interest to PLAYBOY fans.  Like Hef, Hillman condemns the
widespread puritanism of American society, only Hillman's analysis is more
sophisticated.  Hillman's ideas about destiny have enriched my understanding
of the biographical information on PLAYBOY's models.  And Hillman believes
that not only people, but also things, have souls.  This could have
interesting implications for PLAYBOY's fascination with material goods.

I have enjoyed participating in this dialogue and getting to know the
intelligent, good-natured people here.  Thanks to all.

Brian Sorgatz