Challenges

Alfred Urrutia rampagingsloth@yahoo.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:12:43 -0800 (PST)

--- Peggy Wilkins <mozart@lib.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> 1. Distribution and display of the magazine
>
> Playboy has lost much here in the past decade.  My personal experience
> is that it is now quite difficult to find Playboy on newsstands in
> order to buy it.  I speak as someone who deliberately looks to buy the
> current issue of the magazine, and the special editions, every month.
> I live in a big city (Chicago), and I have to go out of my way in
> order to buy Playboy.  In my neighborhood at the University of
> Chicago, there is nowhere that sells Playboy.  I find this

Not to be argumentative but around here (L.A., specifically everywhere around
LAX area like Venice and even in the Valley) I can find Playboy at every
newsstand and in most bookstores.  Even the NSSs.  Now, in bookstores they're
usually bagged (the NSSs for sure, the issues usually) but I have no problem
getting to Playboy.  Now, I agree that it should be put back in Ralph's and
such wherever Cosmo can be found.  But I think that there's an agreed to
separation of mags with nudity as a selling point (which Cosmo and its ilk
don't have) vs. the rest.  So Playboy won't be found, typically, sitting next
to Maxim or Details or Cosmo no matter how the articles are viewed.  I don't
think there's a way around that issue, either.

Alfred.

=====
"My father was a crapsmith, his father was a crapsmith and,
 BY GOD, I am a crapsmith!"
     - What StWhore's shitty dart skills were saying in the
       Firehouse.

Alfred Urrutia                     rampagingsloth@yahoo.com