August feature, CSC: Crime Scene Cleanup

Steve Sloca Steve Sloca" <gokings@comcast.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:14:27 -0400

Peggy Wilkins wrote:
"I was quite put off by the "CSC: Crime Scene Cleanup" article that
appears in the August issue.  I would guess that the presence of this
feature is based on the recent popularity of the "CSI" television
series....it does make it look like PLAYBOY is hopping on the
imitation bandwagon.  This is not a good way to be perceived."

This is very apt and perceptive.  Not only has Maxim been running
stuff like this, but the German edition of Playboy--which according to
the demographics in the magazine has a much younger readership than US
Playboy--regularly features photos of death and violence.  They have
what seems to be a running "Shootout of the Month" feature,
illustrated by crime scene (and even morgue) photos of victims and
perpetrators. I suspect that the abrogation of the infamous Comics
Code and the popularity of blood-spattered video games has produced a
generation that gets a "kick" out of scenes of violence and gore.  In
any event, Kaminsky and his new crew seem to be trying to pick up
"whatever sells" from the successful publications they read or from
popular TV shows, without any concern for the image and
theme/philosophy which has guided Playboy in its first 50 years.

One of the things that marked Playboy as a fresh, vibrant voice for
the young professionals of the '60's was it was NOT like other
magazines.  Yes, Esquire had some of the same kinds of stories and
cartoons; but it didn't have nudity and was afraid to be openly
sexual.  Yes, there were "nudist" magazines out there which had
nudity, but the nudity was somewhat tawdry and there was nothing else
in them of interest to a young urban male.  Only Playboy had the
combination of Esquire's sophistication with classy,
hang-it-on-your-wall nudity, and was totally open about sex as a
natural part of human life and living.  That was what made it
appealing and a "must buy" for 7 million men.

Is there still a market for such a publication in these days, when
social repression of sexuality seems to be re-inventing Victorianism?
I would think so, given the enormous market for internet nudity and
porn to which today's young men are being driven for lack of any
mainstream outlet for their interests.  But Maxim, "CSI" and
"Survivor" are not the keys to this market.  Maxim, like Howard Stern,
simply appeals to latent sexism and childish fantasies ("undressing
celebrities" is a major fantasy among pre-pubescent children); and,
like Esquire in the '50's and '60's, Maxim is afraid to take on the
neo-Victorian moralists of today who equate nudity with immorality.
Graphic crime and violence scenes and "vote out the one you hate"
shows simply appeal to baser human instincts and fears.  As I think
the McKean review the other day illustrates, what the yuppie of today
really wants, and which is not available elsewhere, is more explicit
and erotic nudity (like he gets in video games like anime and on the
internet), but presented with the same class and sophistication of GQ
(and not as boorishly as Penthouse does it).  He wants more overtly
sexual content, presented in a way that he can discuss it with his
feminist, working professional girlfriend and not be ashamed of it
(which means more attention to the feminist point of view and
interests).  The "Centerfolds on Sex" feature was a great idea, but it
needs to move beyond mere titillation and into an expanded discussion
of sexual behavior and desires from the woman's point of view.  He
wants to know how an educated, post-feminism man can develop a healthy
sex life and relationship with a modern woman, within a life style he
can aspire to but hasn't yet achieved.  (Playboy did a lot to
popularize sex research in the '60's--indeed, I was first exposed to
Masters & Johnson, the female extended orgasm and many similar topics
in Playboy; but you can't find such research anywhere these days, at
least written by good writers with a non-prurient tone to their
articles).  He wants a publication that stands up to Ashcroft and his
ilk on internet censorship and sexual freedom in an era of increasing
repressionism.  That means video coverage of erotic videos (OK, adult
porn) that young couples can feel comfortable watching, articles about
strip clubs and vacation spots where upscale yuppies can feel
comfortable enjoying themselves, and coverage of even more cutting
edge aspects of human sexuality, like voyeurism, exhibitionism ("sex
in public") and fetishes, which are more than ever popular among young
adults, thanks to the internet.  (Why is Playboy making money on its
TV and video assets and not on the magazine?--because its TV and
non-Playmate videos feature those kinds of subjects.)  In short, the
more society moves to repress normal human instincts, the greater the
market there is for a magazine that opens up and actively promotes
human sexuality in a healthy way; and right now, there is a good
opportunity for a "new Hefner" to come along and seize it.  That is
the direction Playboy should be going, not into the muck with Maxim
and CSI.

PS: These views are not just my personal ramblings.  After 4 years of
hosting Playmate and internet model sites and interacting with
thousands of fans, I have gotten a pretty fair idea of what desires
and interests are on the minds of Playboy's potential audience.  And
every time I read Kaminsky's or Hefner's statements as to where
Playboy is heading in its "new look," I have to cringe.  Both of them
are so out of touch with today's young professionals, I have to agree
with Mr. McKean: "Who's writing this stuff?  My dad?"