Philosophy (was scattered shots)

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:25:32 -0700

Dan Stiffler wrote:
>The PLAYBOY philosophy:  I very much enjoyed reading Brian's piece on a
>second-wave philosophy. . .

Thanks much, Dan.

>. . . and I endorse the concept unequivocally.  One of my
>ten suggestions was for PLAYBOY to once again stand for something.  I think
>Brian is on to something important here.  However, the original philosophy
>grew out of the magazine's defensive posture and it expanded beyond all
>expectations when the first installments created a torrent of
>correspondence from readers (this is how the Forum was born).  Given
>that Hef thinks the "victory is won," does he see the magazine in a
>defensive position anymore?  If not, this second-wave philosophy will
>need to be generated in some other way and by some other writer (I
>don't see Kaminsky doing this).

I'm not necessarily calling for a new official statement to replace or
supplement the one Hef made in the Sixties.  I'm just hoping for a shift in
some of PLAYBOY's attitudes and biases and a renewed sense of mission, if
you will.  But my main hope in submitting that post was to get *us* talking
about these kinds of things.  I believe this would advance the goals of this
discussion, because the general ideas that inspire PLAYBOY are just as
important as the concrete details of its form.  So how about it, ladies and
gentlemen?  Do you agree or disagree with my comments on reverse puritanism
and humanism?

Brian Sorgatz