Celebrities on the Newsstand

Peggy Wilkins mozart@lib.uchicago.edu
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:53:24 -0500

    Donna> When was the last time you say even a major fashion
    Donna> magazine (from Vogue to GQ to Esquire) with a model (who
    Donna> wasn't also a celebrity) on the cover.

This is absolutely true.  For instance, I remember seeing wonderful
Vogue covers in decades past that had non-celebrity models featured.
I haven't seen a Vogue cover in years that hasn't featured a major
celebrity on the cover.  This month (August), it's Sarah Jessica
Parker (and I just bought it).  Last month, it was Reese Witherspoon.
I bought that one, too.  I thought both covers were very beautiful,
and I bought them for the good design.

I'm sure that many buy the individual Vogue issues based on who's on
the cover.  I buy them not necessarily because I like the cover model,
but because I like the cover.  I buy them for good design.  Why not go
for both types of audience?  The ones who just like the celebrity will
buy them when they like the cover model.  The ones who like the good
design will buy repeatedly, and will even buy every issue, if the good
design is there every month.

There will never be lost sales over good cover design.

Peggy Wilkins
mozart@lib.uchicago.edu