Change

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:31:17 -0800

Brad Hodges wrote:
> I would love it if Playboy were still the magazine it was in the
> sixties--I'm tired of interviews and features on light-weight
> celebrities.  This is just a fantasy, though. . . . If Playboy does
> not keep up with the times, it will cease to exist, because the
> fanciers of the old style will die out eventually.

I think you have two separate issues mixed up: the issue of
traditional style and the issue of quality. I can grudgingly accept
changes in visual presentation if I have to, but I cannot accept the
notion that Playboy will never regain the sophistication it once
had. "Keeping up with the times" shouldn't mean dumbing down. Is
American culture so hopelessly anti-intellectual? Have the most
literate of American men been so thoroughly "whipped" by political
correctness that they can't be persuaded to read any magazine with
nude pin-ups in it? I refuse to believe this.

Brian Sorgatz