The New Yorker (was: Re: Hef Rex?)

Peggy Wilkins mozart@lib.uchicago.edu
Sat, 10 May 2003 13:21:48 -0500

    Dan> ...  Other magazines have survived the loss of their
    Dan> charismatic founders (The New Yorker is an example), but it
    Dan> is the magazine that survives, not the personality of the
    Dan> founder.

Dan, could you give some details here?  I am unaware of the history of
the New Yorker.  It sounds like you consider their story a success.
What details make it a success to you, and could you also say how you
see this applying to PLAYBOY's case?  Are there any other magazines
that might have a similarly interesting history in this regard?

Peggy Wilkins
mozart@uchicago.edu