re Magazine Awards

Dan Stiffler calendar-girls@mindspring.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 01:19:07 -0400

On 5/12/03 9:24 PM, "Gretchen Edgren" <budsms@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Vanity Fair for reviews and criticism?????

I was a bit surprised by that one too, Gretchen, but then I can't claim to
know much about the editorial content of Vanity Fair, so I am not a fair
judge.  This was the citation at the website:

Vanity Fair:  Graydon Carter, editor, for three articles by James Wolcott,
Terror on the Dotted Line, January; U. S. Confidential, June; The Penance of
Pirates, October.

"James Wolcott taps into America's collective subconscious with a wicked pen
and a bull's-eye sensibility.  He puts his finger on the highs and lows of
9/11 coverage, attacks the tectonic shift in tabloid journalism, and weighs
in on white-collar crime and absolution.  His criticism dissects cultural
phenomena in full light of its history ­ and ours."

Makes me want to read those pieces!

All of the citations are at

http://asme.magazine.org/about_asme/press_releases/2003_winners.html

To be honest, reading the citations makes be wish that PLAYBOY were striving
for an "Ellie" rather than the latest...oh, you know.

regards,

Dan Stiffler