The soul of PLAYBOY

Alfred Urrutia rampagingsloth@yahoo.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:45:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- Brian Sorgatz <bsorgatz@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Right on, sister.  I believe what you have said is another way of saying
> that beloved cultural artefacts such as magazines have a certain quality
> that may be called soul.  The authors James Hillman and Thomas Moore (not to
> be confused with Sir Thomas More) have some fascinating insights on locating
> soul in inanimate objects.  Hillman says that most Westerners now consider
> this notion strange because of the legacy of Descartes, who confined soul to
> human beings and described the physical world as so much dead matter.  This
> email group doesn't seem to enjoy abstract philosophical discussion, but I
> thought I'd put this out anyway.

I agree.  I still have some books (mostly paperbacks) that I bought when I was
in gradeschool because of how much I prefer their look (cover art) and feel
(paper texture) over newer editions.  I love hardback books, too, like my art
books and architecture books.  I think the problem with magazines is that they
are considered throw-away.  They get bent up everywhere, rolled up, and then
chucked after reading through them a couple of times.  I don't do that,
especially with the mags I subscribe to like Playboy, Mopar Action, etc., and
even the mags I buy at the newsstands I tend to pick through to find the least
beaten versions.  But fighting that throw-away mentality is hard in this
country.

Alfred.

=====
"When you're surrounded by midgets with hammers, you know
 you're going to get a pounding."
 - Triple-H, on how horror movies can help you to evaluate
   real life dangers.
Alfred Urrutia                     rampagingsloth@yahoo.com