Table of Contents and Playbill

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:42:49 -0800

I know I'm repeating myself, but I would love to see a return to the
pre-2000 format for the table of contents and the pre-2003 format for
the Playbill.  The earlier formats conveyed a vital sense of unity and
cohesion in the magazine's contents; they welcomed the reader to the
magazine.  Of course, a magazine is less unified than a book by its
very nature.  But to open up a magazine is to visit a locale, to
wander about and see its landmarks.  A magazine editor's job resembles
that of an architect or city planner, in that it involves placing
various items within a space.  In subtle but important ways, the
earlier styles for the contents and Playbill reinforced this
gratifying sense of space.

The other members of this discussion group seem to think I'm overly
sentimental and nit-picky on this matter.  But I really think it makes
a difference.

Brian Sorgatz