Sorry, suckers -- this is Maxim

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:49:31 -0700

Peggy Wilkins wrote:
>I think they could and should aim higher than the lowest common
>denominator. That "Sorry suckers" comment was made for one reason and
>one reason only -- because Maxim does it, and they feel Maxim
>breathing down their neck. It's time to show some spine and put out a
>good magazine again, not just one that's "doing the best we can do" in
>today's world, to paraphrase a recent Hef quote. I will never, never
>be convinced that the only road to go down is the obvious one, the one
>that Maxim has already paved. Maybe PLAYBOY's editors just don't have
>enough energy left after all those parties to pave their own
>road. They don't even seem interested in looking -- well, that's what
>it looks like from this point of view, anyway. They paved their road
>long ago, and now are happy to let it all go and pass on the torch to
>someone who has ambitions and goals that are much too short sighted
>and simple. What a disappointment!

In a previous post, Peggy, you revealed that you seem to have considerable
influence over important editorial decisions at PLAYBOY.  If so, now is a
better time than ever to exert that influence.  I humbly suggest that you do
whatever you can to reach Hef, Kaminsky, Kretchmer, and all other relevant
parties with your message.

I would like to add that, while I still think an ad campaign ridiculing the
competition is a good idea, it is pointless if PLAYBOY *becomes* the
competition.

Brian Sorgatz