Update: A reply from Hugh Hefner

Alfred Urrutia rampagingsloth@yahoo.com
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:05:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- Peggy Wilkins <mozart@lib.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> I really do disagree that we can never experience what we remember
> again; just because I'm older and the world has changed doesn't mean I
> can't be charmed by PLAYBOY anymore, if they would try to charm me
> with great content.  I really don't understand where he's coming from

I understand this completely.  Think of all the great "firsts" that you've
experienced.  My friends and I talk about how cool it was to live through the
arcade game explosion of the '80s.  Certainly those games are primitive now, in
terms of speed and resolution.  But nothing makes me smile like a good game of
Tempest or Star Trek.  To hell with Playstation 2, as good as it is.  Same can
be said for old musclecars, the original version of Aerosmith (vs. today's),
and on and on.  You can appreciate what followed, even love them, but they
never hold the same level of nostalgia as the originals.  And those who are
young now have their own "firsts".  They don't care about vinyl records, Coke
in glass bottles, any of that crap.  And they shouldn't, they're not connected
to it.  Honestly, what recent actress/model holds your attention, your
admiration, as much as MM does?  None.  And no band does for me what Led
Zeppelin did, no matter how good they might be or how much I might like them.
I still think of Playboy as having staples.  And I'm not that damn old, either,
it's just the way I first experienced it.

> here.  I have changed with the times myself, I don't expect PLAYBOY to
> be the same as when I first saw it 25 years ago, and I don't expect
> them to recreate the past.  What I do want to see is a magazine that
> consistently makes me react very postively, because it has good,
> exciting content.  I would like to see them widen the magazine's
> editorial scope again, and provide really useful services for readers.

So would I.  I'd like to see them reconnect with their Playmates again, too.

Alfred.

=====
"Is Wayne Brady gonna hafta choke a bitch?"
    - Wayne Brady, getting shortchanged by one of his
      prostitutes on The Dave Chappelle Show..
Alfred Urrutia                     rampagingsloth@yahoo.com