Coming out of the closet

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:38:42 -0700

Alfred Urrutia wrote:

>Something else they have to do is get the stigma off the mag.  The
>"Oh, you're reading Playboy, you must not score with the ladies"
> handjob deal.  Commercials will work but they have to do what Trojan
> and the rest did for condoms.  Make it common.  Make it normal life.
> In movies, TV shows, etc.  Playboy has to be seen as something that
> might show up anyway and it's natural for it to be there.

This could depend as much on us as on anyone at Playboy Enterprises. I
wonder how many of us unabashedly read Playboy at work, at school, in bars
and restaurants, or on city buses and trains. If every Playboy fan were so
bold, the stigma would greatly diminish. Female fans might have greater
impact through such boldness than male fans, in an
only-Nixon-could-go-to-China sort of way.

As for myself, I'm something of a coward. Not only do I feel vulnerable
reading Playboy in public, but I'm afraid that others will notice my
vulnerability and see me as a prudish lightweight. So I get a double dose of
awkwardness.

Brian Sorgatz