Keep the nudes; mock the prudes

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:48:30 -0700

Dan Stiffler wrote:
>This might be my most radical--and reluctant--suggestion, but I know the
>concept is on the table anyway, so I am going to address it: kill explicit
>nudity in the magazine. . . . I don't think I would
>be inclined in this direction, however, if it were not for playboy.com and
>the Special Editions.  I can envision the magazine providing the "tease" to
>a broader audience; the cyber club would be the place where the playmate
>"delivers." . . . [Then] it will be generally accepted in
>all but the most radical right or radical feminist households.

I couldn't disagree more. I appreciate the Internet as a tool for spreading
words and images, but nothing in cyberspace is as tangible, as substantial,
or as "real" as a printed magazine. A web site is a temporary arrangement of
electrons, as helplessly impermanent as a sand sculpture before an advancing
tide. I think we can all agree that a magazine gives an impression of
solidity and permanence that warms the cockles of the heart. Therefore, as
far as content and style are concerned, the Cyber Club (and Special
Editions) should be mere satellites revolving around the magazine proper.
Even if the former two are bigger money-makers, the latter ought to be the
aesthetic center of gravity.

Generally speaking, Dan makes a valid point about more explicit photos not
necessarily being sexier. Sometimes, less is more. But toning down the
nudity in Playboy would be a pointless concession to people who don't pay
close attention to its contents, anyway. Even if Playboy eliminated full
frontal nudity overnight, such people would fail to distinguish it from
Hustler for years to come.

To make Playboy respectable to the educated middle class again, I suggest TV
commercials presenting the magazine as the ideal combination of daring and
good taste, an alternative to lily-white political correctness on the one
hand and frat-boy sleaze on the other. They might do well to ridicule the
extreme feminists and Bible-thumping fundamentalists who condemn Playboy. In
the '80s, MTV bought ads on other networks with the slogan, "Some people
just don't get it." Does anyone else remember these commercials? They could
serve as models. Such mockery could be well received as long as it was clear
that it didn't target feminists in general or Christians in general.

Brian Sorgatz