TV commercials for Playboy?

Mark Tomlonson tomlonson@wmich.edu
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:26:59 -0400

Brian Sorgatz wrote:

> Twice on this list, I have suggested TV commercials to relieve the
> stigma associated with Playboy. What does everyone else think about
> this idea? What other ideas does anyone have to achieve the same goal?

I think they'd work if they took the tone of "Check out this month's
interview with Ashton Kutchner, the latest fiction by Anna Nicole Smith
and of course, the most beautiful women in the world". I think it would
be very difficult to advertise the Playmates or celebrity nude features
without coming across like one of those 1-900-GET-A-DATE late night ads.

Then there's the Wowser "How Dare You Advertise Pornography" knee-jerk
reaction and chicken s**t station managers who would pull the ads at the
slightest hint of the "boycott" word. Never mind that the women in the
ads I have in mind would be dressed a lot like the choir of the 1st
Baptist Church. It would be a tough sell at first, but it seems like it
would be worth the effort.

This assumes that there is enough quality, non-sexual material in the
mag to pitch on TV.

Once the beach head is established, I think you could start to pitch the
Playmates and the pictorials.

Mark Tomlonson
Kalamazoo MI