1/89 as a model for 1/04

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:13:44 -0700

People have been debating the 50th anniversary cover.  Let's talk about the
50th anniversary contents.  I was very impressed by the concept behind the
35th anniversary issue (January 1989), and I think the editors would do well
to do something very similar for January 2004.  From 1984 to the present, no
other five-year-mark issue has done such a good job at retrospection.  No
other such issue has gone to the trouble of reprinting classic articles and
fiction as well as photos.  Don't we want to refute the stereotype of only
pretending to read the articles?  What better way than to honor the great
articles of the past?

Full disclosure:  I am a young PLAYBOY fan, and I'm not familiar with 1/79
or 1/74.  How do they compare with 1/89?

Brian Sorgatz