My letter to Dear Playboy

Peggy Wilkins mozart@lib.uchicago.edu
Thu, 08 May 2003 03:08:31 -0500

Below is the letter i sent to Dear Playboy regarding the June cover.
This was the most condensed statement I could come up with about it.
Of course this issue is more complicated than I acknowledge here, but
these letters must be brief, and I feel it represents the bottom line
of my feelings.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has submitted comments
about the June cover.  (And just for the record, I intended this
letter as a statement meaningful to me personally, so please don't use
it for a form letter -- this is probably obvious, but I did want to
make sure I was clear in that.)

=======================================
I hope that Joe Millionaire runner-up Sarah Kozer raised your monthly
circulation, but in showcasing Sarah on your June cover, you neglected
another very important reality show runner-up: Playmate of the Year
Christina Santiago.  The annual Playmate of the Year cover has been a
tradition ever since Donna Michelle's iconic May 1964 appearance.
Supplanting the PMOY from this traditional role flies in the face of
an approaching 50th anniversary that, publicly at least, claims to
honor PLAYBOY's rich and distinguished history.

It may be just another magazine cover, but for longtime readers --
those of us who have supported PLAYBOY and renewed our subcriptions
for years -- something of the PLAYBOY spirit has been lost.  Are there
really so many hot-selling celebrities scheduled for the cover that
one can't be devoted to the Playmate of the Year?

What a disappointment.
__
Peggy Wilkins
Chicago, IL