Forum Letters

Brian Sorgatz bsorgatz@hotmail.com
Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:36:47 -0800

Steve Migala wrote:
>One thing I noticed about the March, 2004 issue that disturbed me was
>that there was just one column (actually, a sidebar) for letters to the
>Plaboy Forum.
>
>I hope this is not permanent. Since its inception, one of the most
>important features of the Playboy Forum has been the feedback from the
>readers about the important social issues that are discussed.

Actually, Steve Migala doesn't put the matter strongly enough.  At its
inception in the early Sixties, the Forum consisted *entirely* of
readers' responses to Hef's "Playboy Philosophy".  I'm disturbed not
only by the creeping anti-intellectualism of the situation, but also
the creeping anti-historicism, if you will.  I've said it before and
I'll say it again: With a bold, clever, and energetic promotional
campaign, PLAYBOY can -- and should -- sell itself as "classic" rather
than bulldoze its time-honored elements.

Brian Sorgatz